Who we are:
Winthrop & Weinstine is a business law firm of more than 150 attorneys with a deliberate culture of enterprise and fresh thinking. Located in the heart of Minneapolis and with a national reach, we deliver service, smart perspectives and practical outcomes to put the law to work for our clients. At Winthrop & Weinstine, we work together energetically and creatively to achieve our goals. We are committed to dealing with one another fairly, respectfully and honestly to create a healthy stable and collegial organization. Every person in the firm is an integral part of the client service team and contributes to the firm’s, and our clients’, success. Join our nimble force and put the law to work.
What we need:
Winthrop & Weinstine is seeking a knowledgeable and driven Legal Administrative Assistant to work in our Patent Intellectual Property Department - someone with strong attention to detail who can prioritize the workload for busy attorneys. The ability to work in a fast-paced environment as part of a close-knit team provides a challenging opportunity and an enjoyable workplace. The responsibilities for this position will include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain current knowledge of domestic and foreign rules relating to patent intellectual property as well as Firm procedures.
- Process the filing of new U.S. and International (PCT) patent applications and maintain knowledge of filing requirements, patent prosecution procedures, renewal data and expiration data.
- Review forms and incoming correspondence from the U.S. Patent Office; ensure documents are handled per Firm processes.
- Coordinate routine incoming and outgoing correspondence with foreign associates and clients regarding new applications, formal requirements, and filing details. Send updates to docketing system.
- Prepare correspondence, draft documents, including document comparisons and conversions, manipulation of pdf documents, editing and scanning.
- Maintain electronic client files, file emails, and attachments in client files and assist attorneys with inbox organization.
- Review, edit, and finalize attorney and paralegal time entries.
- Process and manage client invoices.
- Prepare document shells for responding to U.S. Patent Office actions for attorneys.
- Process foreign associate and third-party vendor invoices for payment.
- Process conflict reports and open new client matters.
- Provide general legal administrative support, including calendar management, scheduling and arranging attorney and client meetings, conferences, responding to and handling routine correspondence, and making reservations/appointments.
- Organize and submit travel and business expenses.
- Monitor and maintain professional memberships, CLE reporting, and state license registration.
Qualification and Skills:
- At least two years of patent legal administrative assistant experience in a law firm.
- Knowledge of docketing software.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, and follow through with assignments to completion.
- Excellent grammar and proofreading skills, including attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure with deadlines.
- Strong customer service and teamwork approach.
Winthrop & Weinstine requires COVID-19 vaccinations.