Nichols Kaster, PLLP, a plaintiff-side civil litigation firm that fights for economic and social justice, seeks a full-time Legal Assistant/Paralegal for its Civil Rights and Impact Litigation team in its Minneapolis, MN office.
Nichols Kaster has dedicated nearly 50 years to fighting for everyday people in individual and class actions. With offices in Minneapolis, Minnesota and San Francisco, California, the firm is perfectly situated for the work it does representing plaintiffs in cases across the country. Nichols Kaster is a proven powerhouse for taking on complex cases and securing significant recoveries for plaintiffs.
The Civil Rights and Impact Litigation team focuses on complex class actions and multi-plaintiff litigation where people’s civil rights are at issue. The team has litigated civil rights cases in the employment, school, healthcare, and housing realms, including cases involving race discrimination, discrimination against the trans community, and forced labor of immigrant workforces.
The Legal Assistant/Paralegal position will provide organizational and practice specific assistance to attorneys. It requires professionalism, attention to detail, and the ability to handle multiple priorities and work in an organized and efficient manner.
At Nichols Kaster, we believe that diversity in all forms improves the workplace and makes an organization better. Nichols Kaster is committed to creating an equitable and inclusive work environment for our employees and to bringing a diversity, equity, and inclusion lens to our work. We encourage members of diverse communities to apply.
- Organizing and maintaining case files
- Maintaining case docket and calendars
- Interpreting and applying court rules and procedures
- Drafting correspondence, pleadings and discovery
- Working with the legal team in the preparation and filing of court documents
- Performing various duties relating to discovery, including document gathering, review and organization, preparation for depositions and coordination of document productions
- Trial preparation and support
- Conduct factual and legal research
- Formal paralegal training from an accredited program, a four-year degree program (preferred but not required)
- Experience as a litigation paralegal (preferred but not required)
- Experience with electronic court and administrative agency filing platforms (preferred but not required)
- Experience using an eDiscovery review platform such as Relativity to create searches, filters, and tags, and identify and redact privileged information (preferred but not required)
- Functional understanding and application of court rules and procedures (preferred but not required)
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and client service skills
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Ability to organize, prioritize and execute numerous tasks under tight time constraints
- Team player
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in high pressure, time sensitive situations
- Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
- Ability to conduct legal research utilizing online tools such as Westlaw (preferred but not required)
- Participation in medical and dental benefits
- 401(k) and profit-sharing plan
- Group life insurance
- Free access to IDS fitness center
- Participation in discretionary year-end bonus plan